January 9, 2019 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 19V006000
An inflator explosion may result in sharp metal fragments striking the driver or other occupants resulting in serious injury or death.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 19V006
Manufacturer Ferrari North America, Inc.
Components AIR BAGS
Potential Number of Units Affected 11,176
Ferrari North America (Ferrari) is recalling certain 2014 Ferrari California, 2014-2015 Ferrari 458 Italia, 458 Spider, 2014-2016 Ferrari FF, 2014-2017 Ferrari F12, 2015-2018 Ferrari California T, 2015 Ferrari 458 Speciale A, 2016 Ferrari F60 America, 2016-2017 Ferrari F12 tdf, 2016-2018 Ferrari 488 GTB, 488 Spider, 2017-2018 Ferrari GTC4Lusso and 2018 GTC4Lusso T vehicles nationwide.
These vehicles are equipped with certain air bag inflators assembled as part of the passenger frontal air bag modules used as original equipment or replacement equipment. In the event of a crash necessitating deployment of the passenger frontal air bag, these inflators may explode due to propellant degradation occurring after long-term exposure to absolute humidity and temperature cycling.
Ferrari will notify owners, and dealers will replace the passenger frontal air bag assembly, free of charge. The recall began March 8, 2019. Owners may contact Ferrari customer service at 1-866-551-2828. Ferrari’s number for this recall is 65.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
IMPORTANT SAFETY RECALL
This notice applies to your vehicle (VIN
RC 65 / NHTSA 19V-006
This notice is sent to you in accordance with the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act.
Ferrari has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in certain Model Year 2014-2018 458 Italia, 458 Spider, 458 Speciale, 458 Speciale A, 488 GTB, 488 Spider, California, California T, F12 berlinetta, F12 tdf, F60 America, FF, and GTC4Lusso vehicles equipped with a passenger-side front airbag manufactured and supplied by Takata Corporation. We want to assure you that your safety is our priority, and we are committed to correcting this condition in your vehicle.
The passenger side front airbag could explode in vehicles involved in an incident in which the frontal airbags deploy. This risk is due to propellant degradation which may occur after long-term exposure to high temperatures, high absolute humidity and high temperature cycling causing the inflator to explode in deployment. Sharp metal fragments may pass through the airbag striking vehicle passengers, leading to serious injury or death.
Our records show that you are the owner of a vehicle affected by this recall.
IMPORTANT – CONTACT YOUR DEALER TODAY FOR YOUR FREE REPAIR
Final replacement airbags are now available in your area. Please make an appointment with your nearest dealer to have the FREE repair Performed on your vehicle.
Ferrari will repair your vehicle of charge. The repair involves replacing the Passenger Frontal Airbag Module. Please contact your Ferrari dealer at this time and make an appointment to have this repair performed. The time needed for this repair is estimated to be between 2 and 5 hours depending on the model; however, your dealer may need to keep your vehicle for a longer period of time. Please be prepared to leave your vehicle with your dealer for at least a full day.
Please also note that only the passenger frontal airbag is affected by this recall. The driver’s frontal airbag is unaffected.
If you have any questions or concerns that your dealer is unable to resolve, please contact Ferrari North America, Inc. at +1(201) 8 16-2668. If your Dealer or Ferrari is unable to remedy the defect without charge or within a reasonable amount of time, you may submit a complaint to the Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 1200 New Jersey Ave., S.E., Washington, DC 20590, call the toll-free Vehicle safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153), or go to •www.NHTSA.gov.
Thank you for your attention to this important matter.
Ferrari North America, Inc.
PLEASE NOTE: Federal law requires that any vehicle lessor receiving this recall notice must forward a copy of this notice to the lessee by First Class Mail within ten business days.
31 Affected Products
|FERRARI||458 SPECIALE A||2015|
6 Associated Documents
Defect Notice 573 Report
ISSUED Owner Notification Letter(Part 577)
Recall Quarterly Report #1, 2019-1
Recall 573 Report – AMENDMENT 1
Remedy Instructions and TSB
1 Associated Investigation
Air Bag Inflator Rupture
NHTSA ID: EA15001
Dated opened: February 24, 2015
The Office of Defects Investigation (ODI) opened PE14-016 in June 2014 based on six inflator rupture incidents involving consumer owned vehicles produced by five vehicle manufacturers. All six vehicles were operated in Florida or Puerto Rico at the time of the rupture and for the majority of their service life, and were equipped with inflators produced by Takata, a tier-one supplier of automotive air bag systems.
During the course of PE14-016, ODI determined that five additional vehicle manufacturers used inflators of a similar design and vintage also supplied by Takata. No evidence of field failures was found in vehicles produced by these five additional manufacturers. Nonetheless, at ODI’s insistence, all 10 vehicle manufacturers initiated a regional recall within approximately two weeks of the opening of the investigation. The regions recalled initially included Florida, Puerto Rico, Hawaii, and the U.S. Virgin Islands, areas with high absolute humidity and climatic conditions believed to be a significant factor in the inflator ruptures. As part of the recall actions, inflators removed from remedied vehicles are to be returned to Takata for testing.
Takata’s initial test results on passenger inflators from remedied vehicles indicated a much higher than anticipated rupture frequency for inflators returned from Florida. Accordingly ODI requested all 10 manufacturers expand the regional recalls for passenger inflators to include other geographic areas where high absolute humidity conditions exist, including the Gulf States and other coastal areas. Takata’s testing of the passenger inflators to date continues to indicate this geographic area as having the highest risk, with no ruptures occurring from inflators returned from outside the expanded recall regions. During PE14-016 four additional passenger inflator field events occurred, all in vehicles from the same expanded geographic region.
Also during PE14-016 four additional driver inflator field events occurred including two in vehicles from regions not known for high absolute humidity, specifically California and North Carolina. Accordingly, ODI requested all five of the affected vehicle manufacturers currently using the subject Takata driver inflators expand to nationwide recalls. Significantly, neither of the affected vehicle manufacturers or Takata provided any explanation to account for these two driver air bag inflator ruptures outside the area of high absolute humidity. Takata testing of returned driver inflators indicates a lower rupture frequency as compared to passenger inflator testing. All test ruptures reported by Takata to date have occurred on inflators returned from high absolute humidity areas.
The investigation now includes all manufacturers and vehicles known to be affected at this time. ODI’s investigation will focus on, among other things, root cause analysis, other potential defect consequences, identification of affected vehicles scope, and adequacy of the remedy.
The five ODI reports cited above can be reviewed online at http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchNHTSAID under the following identification numbers: 10537899, 10568848, 10585224, 10605877, 10651492
- MADE IN THE USA by a small family business that specializes in the best leather cleaner and conditioner on the market. Millions of happy customers.
- CONCENTRATED FORMULA means great value each four-ounce bottle makes up to 32 ounces of leather cleaner when diluted with water.
- QUICKLY AND GENTLY CLEANS all types of leather and vinyl, removing dirt, oil, tough stains and grime. Non-toxic leather cleaner is perfect for every leather product, including saddles and tack, automotive interiors, furniture, handbags, shoes and jackets. Not for use on suede.
- UNLIMITED 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE. If you're not happy with any of our products, simply return them for a full refund of your purchase price!
- SPECIALLY FORMULATED to work with Leather Honey Leather Conditioner, the #1 best-selling leather care product on Amazon.
- Weiman Products, LLC
- Health and Beauty
- CLEANS, CONDITIONS, NOURISHES - Cleans leather surfaces while applying conditioner and nourishment
- PROTECTS SURFACE - A clear protective coating saves the material from usual wear and tear, as well as harmful UV rays that cause damage to the surface.
- VERSATILE - These household wipes can be used on any leather surface, including: Shoes, furniture, apparel, purses/bags, and car interiors.
- SAFE - This non-toxic, phosphate free formula removes smudges, dirt, and other remaining impurities safely and effectively.
- FRESH SCENT - Leave your surfaces clean and smelling light and fresh.
- SIMPLE - Easy solution to clean, condition, and protect leather in a single application.
- ENHANCED APPEARANCE - This combination product will clean dirty leather as well as restore color to faded pieces of furniture or well used handbags.
- PROLONGED USE - neglected leather breaks down more quickly, fading and even cracking. By nourishing the surface and protecting it from UV rays you'll ensure your leather stays in the best possible shape.
- USA MADE VALUE - Manufactured in Florida with a value-sized bottle and complimentary applicator pad to ensure you can use it as soon as you open your package.
- A TRUSTED BRAND - TriNova has established itself as a leader in leather care, meaning you can purchase with confidence.
- Enjoy supple, beautiful leather - restores and protects leather from wear, weather, and sunlight / UV rays
- Gentle, pH-balanced and non-toxic - conditions deeply, leaving only a light shine and natural leather scent with no residues
- Dries within one hour - quick and convenient for regular use
- Safe and effective - works on treated, untreated, exotic, reptile, and bonded leathers (not made for suede or nubuck)
- Your satisfaction is guaranteed - 90-day no-hassle returns from Leather Rescue in case you change your mind
- CPR CLEANING PRODUCTS
- Bring Leather Back To Life, Prolongs the Life of Leather. Softens Stiff Leather, Safe to Use on Glove Soft Leather, Furniture, Jackets, Car Seats, Purses, Shoes, Tack, Saddles, Baseball Gloves, Vinyl, Boats, RVs, and More
- Dermatologist Tested- Does Not Irritate Skin. No Harsh Chemicals. Made of 100% Cosmetic Ingredients. No Greasy Residue, Reduces Scuffs and Scratches. Removes Winter Salt-Stains
- Two Products in One Bottle- Saves Time and Money. Safe to use on Exotic Leathers Such as Alligator and Ostrich
- Simple & Non Toxic - Condition and protect in one simple step to maintain any finished leather surface
- Use on - Use regularly on accessories such as leather, purses, shoes, boots, briefcases & handbags.
- Protect - UVX - Sunscreen protects all types of leather from sun damage, fading, drying & cracking.
- Restore - Safely removes dirt soil and residue to soften strengthen and moisturize neglected leather
- Recommended - finished leather surfaces including car interior shoes boots briefcases handbags & coats
Last update on 2019-04-29 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Last update on 2019-04-29 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API